Thursday, August 18, 2011

Smooth sails...

My last post dealt with the recent issues I have had with Lassana, my homologue. I wanted to provide an update on how things currently stand.

As soon as I returned to village on July 21st, I sat down with Sorti, the acting 'dugutigi' (chief-of-village), and Dramani, the 'ji ni saniya ton sigi ɲɛmɔgɔ' (water and sanitation committee president). I described to them the current situation with Lassana, and they agreed that his action to call my supervisor was in poor form.

Since Lassana had said that I don't want to work in the community, I also took the opportunity to again clarify my role. I told them that my work is not to give them money. I am not a standard NGO. And because I am not readily dispensing money, Lassana says that I am not working. Which if that is his definition of work, no, I admit I am not.

What I am trying to do is to teach the villagers how to help themselves improve their quality of life. I intend to build capacity within the community by teaching them skills which will enable them to plan, design, and manage projects. This includes budgeting and raising money within the village itself.

Sure, I could throw all kinds of money at the village and we could build a lot in the next year. But once I am gone, the village would be reliant on foreign aid, and if foreign money is not available, they would not do a thing but wait.

I told them that my goal is to ensure that when I am gone, they can work on their own to improve their village year after year. THIS is my work. If, when I return to America, they do not have the skills nor the will help themselves, I believe that I have not done anything.

So I again restated Lassana's position that my work is bad. I told them that 'if you and the majority of the village agree, then I will return to America right now. But if, as I suspect, it is only Lassana that thinks my work is bad, then I want to stay and continue to help the village.'

They both said that my work is very, very good, and Lassana's work is bad. So I promised that I will stay on board and do what I can to help them.

Sorti told me that he decided to call a village-wide meeting and effectively out Lassana in front of the entire community. He wanted to tell them all what he had said about me, and ask the rest of the village if they agree. Once everyone states their disagreement with Lassana's perspective, Sorti would turn to Lassana and say 'if you still think this way, you have to leave all of the village committees.'

Haoua, our sector's APCD and my supervisor, later called to speak with Sorti, Lassana, and I. She, I believe correctly, told Sorti that the confrontational tact Sorti planned to take was very bad, and could lead to much conflict down the road.

Instead, she simply talked to Lassana and emphasized that I am there to work with the entire community, not only with him. Therefore, I am free to choose to work with other people within the community. She also told him directly that he is not my boss, and as an adult, and a volunteer, no one, not even her, can tell me what to do. So for the good of the community, she encouraged him to step aside and not to interfere with my work.

Since that time, I have continued my work with other members of the community, and Lassana has by and large stayed on the sidelines. He is still on the committees, but outside of the meetings, I do not work directly with him.

Lassana has not acknowledged that he made any move against me, and continues to act as if nothing happened. So we have not had any discussions on the matter amongst ourselves. Although I find it irritating, at least there has not been any further conflict.

Haoua is coming out to visit my site on Monday, at which time she will reinforce with Lassana what was discussed over the phone. So it appears that we have weathered the storm, and our work can proceed unhindered.

No comments:

Post a Comment