Sunday, November 27, 2011

Woroni Waterfalls

I just returned to Ségou after spending an enjoyable few days in Sikasso celebrating Thanksgiving with my fellow Mali Peace Corps volunteers. On Saturday, several of us headed out to a nearby set of waterfalls by a village called Woroni, where we spent the day hiking, then camped overnight.

The waterfalls were absolutely stunning. The dramatic rock faces and lush vegetation seems far removed from the level, dry, monotonous plains of my region. So I figured I would post a few pictures...

The Woroni waterfalls.
This is how a few of us made it up to the top of the falls before we discovered a trail that meandered through the woods on the other side of the falls. We had to straddle the log and climb up, over a pretty severe drop. It was a bit nerve-racking. There is actually a second set of equally-impressive waterfalls further upstream.
A view along the top of the first set of Woroni waterfalls. I love the natural brown and black contrast in the rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment