Tuesday, February 14, 2012

An 'Agent for Change'

It is too often said that Africans are where they are because they are lazy or unmotivated. I take offense to that, after living amongst them for over a year and a half. They have the same drive and ambition as their counterparts in the west. It is simply a matter of resources.
Youssoufu and I. I am in my 'fɔrɔcɛ' (also known to be 'cɛkɔrɔba finiw', or old men's clothing) I got tailored for 'dumbashu' (the Islamic holiday of Mawlid). Since it is a religious holiday, my friends encouraged me to go traditional. But I don't think this is something I'll be taking back to the States with me.
Take for instance Youssoufu, my new 'agent for change.' On the afternoon of Wednesday, January 11th, I was chatting with several of the men in our 'kin' (neighborhood) when Youssoufu mentioned that he would soon be biking out to the nearby village of Denmugu to treat their wells for them.

Youssoufu is not a member of our Water and Sanitation Committee, but he is a relay with the local CSCM doctor's office. Since doctor's offices are generally found only in large villages or commune capitals, the health system relies upon volunteers, known as relays, from other nearby villages who act as health liaisons between the local office and the smaller villages.

Youssoufu is not only responsible for our village, but also for several smaller villages nearby. He spends time each day selling medicine from the CSCM throughout the villages, and also administers free medicine to children under five. Each village gets an allotment of this free medication. But since Denmugu does not have a relay of their own, their 'dugutigi' (chief of the village) went to our 'dugutigi' and asked if our village can share with them. So Youssoufu spends a lot of time in their village helping them out.

Every month, Youssoufu and the other relays meet at the doctor's office in our commune capital to discuss their work. He then assists with any current initiatives, such as baby weighing, immunizations, records keeping, mosquito net distribution, etc.

And for all of his work, he gets absolutely no pay or kickbacks. Youssoufu claims that some relays are corrupt and will sell the children's medication to villagers, when it should be free. But he is not willing to do so.

So back to that Wednesday afternoon... Youssoufu told me that on one of his visits to Denmugu, the villagers complained to him of widespread stomach illnesses, and he determined that the problem was contaminated drinking water. I believe it was a judgment call based upon the dirty, murky, odorous water fetched from their drinking water wells.

Youssoufu advised the 'dugutigi' to buy some bleach, telling them that once they do so, he will come out to treat the wells for them. I asked him if he plans to teach them how to do so themselves. He said no - he might be able to get them to add bleach, but they won't measure water depth and treat them properly.

I asked him if I could help, and he said that he would really like that. So I told him that I would much prefer that we teach them how to treat their wells themselves, that way it would be sustainable. I talked to him about asking the 'dugutigi' to select a committee of a few men to treat their wells each month, training them to do so, and advising them to raise money through dues from each household in order to regularly replenish their supply of bleach. He agreed enthusiastically.

So later that afternoon, we biked out to Denmugu together and first met with the 'dugutigi' and his son, Jabi. I let Youssoufu do the talking, and I chimed in only to reenforce his statements and to add my perspective.

I told them that if they treat their wells every month, it will only require a small amount of bleach each time and the risk of illness will be much reduced. But if they only do so when they are known to be getting sick from the water, the wells will have to be shocked which requires a significant amount of bleach and leaves the community more vulnerable to disease in the interim.

The community fully bought into our proposals. Youssoufu and I joined Jabi and a couple other locals in taking a look at each of their wells. Youssoufu fetched water, inspected the look, smell, and taste of each. The community had yet to purchase bleach, but I taught Youssoufu how to properly measure the depth of water to determine the quantity of bleach required both to 'shock' a well and to administer regular monthly treatment.

On Thursday, January 26th, we biked out again to Denmugu. The 'dugutigi' had selected Jabi and another man, Madou, to head up well treatment. They had already collected money from each household and purchased bleach when Jabi had gone into Bamako the previous week. Youssoufu and I walked to each well with the two men and taught them how to treat their wells on their own. They were eager and enthusiastic, and promised to remember to treat them monthly. I also told them that they are now health advisors for their community, and explained that they should be encouraging proper handwashing, amongst other behaviors.

I told Youssoufu how I had been hoping to work to improve the sanitation conditions in the surrounding villages, but being that I am not as familiar with the people in these communities and will only be here for a short period of time, I couldn't do it on my own. Behavior change is just too difficult - it requires too much follow-up.

So I expressed how pleased I am that he has taken this on, and told him that if he ever thinks of other such initiatives or wants to work with other villages, just let me know. I will be ready and willing to help him out while I am here. But even after I am gone, Youssoufu will be able to serve as a facilitator in our commune for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment