Monday, January 7, 2013

Planning in the midst of adversity...

There hasn't been a lot of opportunity to get started with work these past couple of months. After our In-Service-Training in Nairobi at the beginning of December, I returned to Budalang'i on the 12th. From that time, I've tried my best to make arrangements for a productive final stretch of Peace Corps Service. But holiday festivities, and nagging health issues, have gotten in the way.

I am currently in Nairobi being subjected to numerous tests to finally sort out what digestive ailment has been distressing me over the past two and a half months. Hopefully after these tests, I can move forward healthy and energized.

And that energy will be needed. If my close-of-service date of July 1st, 2013 holds true, I now have less than six months remaining in exactly three years of Peace Corps Service (if you include Pre-Service Training), but only about five months of those have been in my current village of Budalang'i. The time is nigh to work to make my time in Budalang'i a success.

I feel that I have laid out a solid foundation for myself to build from. The problem again is, do I have time to erect anything meaningful?

I am very proud of my level of integration in Budalang'i. I feel almost as close to my village here as I did in Mali, despite being here for a much shorter period of time. I have built strong relationships with men and women of all ages. I have become near fluent in 'kiswahili', and have really made strides in 'olunyala', the local vernacular. I am now to the point where my first instinct is to speak to people in 'olunyala'. When I have trouble getting my point across, I move to 'kiswahili'. Only in the most difficult of situations do I revert to my third option, English.

It is rewarding that whenever I am out in the community, even in remote areas of the district, people call out to me by name. I will never know everyone by name, like I did in Makili. The sense of community just isn't as strong, and the area much more vast. But I do feel that I belong.

Being a valued and trusted member of the community means that I should be more easily able to affect change. But with my focus having been placed foremost on integration, I haven't really begun any real projects. I am behind. So what projects am I now planning to pursue?

First and foremost is the issue of flooding. I have discussed my host organization's role in flood rescue and relief in the past, and it is crucial that we continue to fill this role. Several times since I've been here, the waters of the River Nzoia have risen to warning stage before falling again. But just a couple of weeks ago, they actually began overtopping the dykes south of the river. Flooding is expected to occur in the next couple of months, as March is generally the most affected month.

A UN vehicle actually came to our office last month to deliver an invitation to a disaster preparedness workshop for Busia County. Edwin, my new counterpart, was our choice to attend, but he unfortunately was still finishing up his duties with election registration, a position he had taken before joining our organization. He was only able to attend the last half of the week-long conference.

Considering the importance to our work, and the fact that our current staff have no prior experience regarding the subject, we decided that it was important for our organization to be fully represented during the entire workshop. So I was to attend as well, help to bridge the gap. But once they learned that I was that 'muzungu', that white guy they saw in the office, they decided they needed approval from the higher-ups in the government, an approval which never came. Who knows what their suspicion was? Did they suspect I was CIA? And what damage could be done given the benign subject matter?

I did my best to gather all information on our former roles in disaster management, then briefed Edwin on the points he needed to emphasize. Judging by the plan drawn up during the meeting, Edwin did a great job, and our role in disaster management has been effectively reinforced. Now, we need to prepare to ensure that we can follow through. We are currently working to find a donor to support our search and rescue efforts, restarting local Dyke Management Committees to be involved in monitoring and maintenance (previously formed by my host organization but now inactive), and preparing radio spots for an early warning system.

One of the activities I'm most looking forward to is on a much smaller scale. Before the holidays, I spoke to about 30 kids at New Hope Christian Academy in Budalang'i. Despite its name, it is a rather unassuming orphanage and primary school, catering primarily to children who have, for one reason or another, lost both parents. I introduced myself, spoke about my background, tried to offer some words of encouragement, and answered their questions for about an hour.

The questions ranged from my personal background, to societal differences, to the just plain weird. Talking about my parents' divorce and my father's adoption provided me an opportunity to try and encourage them, although my experiences can never come close to theirs. I tried to convey that what is important is that you have people that care about you, like your colleagues here today. You are family, its not about blood.

They asked me many thought-provoking questions, like what I find most interesting about Africa? For me, its taught me that I enjoy people and the relationships I am building the most. They asked me to compare Mali, Kenya, and America in many ways. They asked me if I had to choose one country, which would I choose. I laughed, obviously America! My family is there! But I have strong connections to all three now, and will always return.

Some of my favorite from the weird category were: 'Are there night runners in America?' (This is an odd tradition which I still have yet to figure out. From what I gather, they are basically witches who run naked, shouting at night, and the genes are passed on in families through generations.) 'Why are the most important Americans, like Obama, Jay-Z, and George Bush, in the Illuminati?' (An oddly commonplace belief throughout Kenya. No matter what I said, I still got unconvinced looks and eye-rolls in return.) 'What happens if a white dies in Kenya?' (Just a tad bit morbid!) 'Have you been saved?' (I decided to answer this one truthfully, that what I believe matters to God is not what church you go to, or how you pray, but how you decide to live your life. Your moral standing. Again, like in Mali, I have found people generally understanding of my atheistic ideals, despite all the warnings that you should always say that you are a part of a religion, no one will accept otherwise.)

It was very rewarding for me personally, and the kids seemed to get a lot out of it as well. As soon as I return from Nairobi, I will begin teaching life-skills classes at the school with Wilfrida, my co-worker, once a week. Life-skills classes are a common project in Peace Corps health programs. They teach kids on a range of health and well-being topics, providing them with the knowledge and self-confidence required to empower them to make responsible decisions.

With regards to my host organization, I met with Edwin last week to discuss our work plans for the upcoming year, in addition to disaster management. Potential projects include working to advise and encourage 'choo' (latrine) construction in areas near the Yala Swamp, planning a World Malaria Day in conjunction with the Ministry of Health, and assisting a local village in constructing a new drinking water source.

Outside of my host organization, I have reached out to community health workers in the area to assist in any way I can, and have continued to work with the Mumbaya Youth Group, a local group of about 15 young men and women, of which I am a member.

No comments:

Post a Comment