Sunday, June 27, 2010

Final Preparations...

So I am sitting at my aunt's house in Boone, NC trying to relax and let everything sink in. I sold my last piece of furniture on Thursday, my last day of work was Friday, I sold my car on Friday, and moved out of my apartment on Sunday.

The past 6 weeks have just been a blur since I officially found out I was going to Mali. Between finishing up at McGill Associates, catching up with friends and family one last time, buying gear and packing for Mali, selling and donating much of what I owned, closing out finances, learning French through Rosetta Stone, and tying up other loose ends for the Peace Corps... it's just been exhausting, but not in a bad way.

At this point, I feel relatively well-prepared for my service half-way across the world. I have a few more financial obligations to fulfill, including paying off my student loans with the money from selling my car (very excited about this one!), but otherwise I should have the next few days to simply relax. The only thing I regret is not obtaining a regular passport, but at least my no-fee passport from the Peace Corps will be good for traveling up to 3 months past service. I think my family would appreciate me coming home at that point, anyways.

I have already packed my bags for Mali, but am right at the weight limit. I am going to try to downsize my gear to give myself a little more leeway and make traveling around the country a little less awkward.

So the next few days will be spent with family and enjoying my final few days in the states. I expect to eat well, enjoy some final hiking in the beautiful mountains here in WNC, and just get my mind right for the big adventure. I will have my cell phone until Friday night, at which point I will dismantle it and throw it away at JFK Airport, symbolizing the shift away from the conveniences of the Western World.

At this point, I can only guess what my emotions will be, and how my experiences will go from that point on. I know my service in Mali will be challenging, fascinating, grueling, exhilarating, and everything in between... but right now I think I can rest assured, knowing I have prepared myself well.

1 comment:

  1. Son, as you are about to head off on this journey. Know that we, your family, are very proud of whom you have become and the potential metamorphosis of whom you will be during and after this fantastic excursion to Mali. I know you will help many people and in turn, they will give to you something which will last you the rest of your life. Many people sit back and wish they had done something like this yet they make excuses of why it was not possible. You refused to be on the sidelines and you made this a reality.

    What make’s me so proud are your intentions. You are not doing this for yourself but for the love of humanity and knowing, for you, it is the right thing to do. I will surely miss you while you are away. I will look forward to the emails, skype’s or other contacts we will have during your time in Mali.

    I Love you Mike,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete