Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Home Stretch!

Well time has been flying by ever since accepting my Peace Corps invitation. I feel like I have two full-time jobs right now, my job as a civil engineer in Asheville and my preparation for service in Mali. Seems everyday, there is an essay to write, forms to fill out, a language to learn, belongings to sell, finances to square away, and/or items to buy. It's a mad-dash to the finish-line right now, but the excitement continues to build.

I just got back from a week-long vacation with my sister in Alaska. It was an amazing time, and a great distraction from the hectic pace that is life on the home-front right now. As of now, this was by far the furthest trip I have ever taken (previous was Denver), but of course that is all about to change. We spent our time in the Alaskan wilderness; hiking around Anchorage, sea kayaking in Seward, and, of course, a four-day backpacking trip in the backcountry of Denali National Park and Preserve. Although the weather was less than ideal, in the end we came away with an amazing experience filled with both challenging and rewarding moments and indescribable views. And I survived my own recklessness when I purposely stood less than 20 feet away from a 1,400-pound bull moose, so there's that...
Yup, that's me this guy is sizing up!
For me, Denali was definitely the highlight. I love just about any outdoor excursion, and personally, although sightseeing is certainly enjoyable, nothing beats actually getting your hands dirty and experiencing a place first-hand. Kinda goes along the same lines of my Peace Corps decision... why just visit a region as a tourist when you can actually live the culture and help to make a difference there as well?
My sister and I backpacking through Denali.
A view of mountains and bog from Day 2.
No matter where you are in the park, the scenery is unique and spectacular... from desolate bogs to sparse evergreen forests, rocky mountains whose faces crumble with any hand-hold to snow-capped Mount McKinley, brambling creeks to wide-ranging mud flats. The terrain was a constant challenge, fighting through thick brambles, stream crossings, and soggy, dank bogs, all in the midst of rain storms and some of the most intense fog I have ever seen. But through it all, it was an incredible experience and a great capstone trip with my sister before I leave for Mali.
Our Day 2 water source.
This picture shows the foul weather rolling in on Day 3 high in the sky, fog near the ground, all compounded with smoke from forest fires at the western edge of Denali rolling in underneath.
Also coming up is a trip up to Connecticut for a family reunion in honor of my Grandmother's 90th birthday party, as I try to squeeze in time with friends and family before a 2+ year hiatus from the States. The past few weeks have certainly been a whirlwind in terms of preparation, but I am thankful for the moments like this where I get to spend time with those I care about and take advantage of my final couple of weeks left in the states.

While I was away last week, I received my email from the Peace Corps with staging information. Tomorrow, I will book my flights with the Peace Corps' travel office. This is all really starting to hit home. I cannot wait for this challenge to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment