Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Benuga: Another Baraks Adventure

The sun setting over the bay and Samar Island as seen from Benuga. (Photo Credit: Father Roni)
Our municipality of Rosario is not known as a tourist destination. There are no developed tourist destinations, no lodgings, and no restaurants. No tour guides operate in these waters. The number of foreigners that have ever set foot on Rosario soil with the express purpose of pleasure can probably be counted on one hand. And these foreigners are likely to have ties to the area through marriage or work.

But these facts should not insinuate that Rosario is without its natural wonders. Rosario is, in fact, home to waterfalls, a hot springs (with potential for development, as unimpressive as it may currently be), and a beautiful coastal escape known as Benuga. This was the site of my latest excursion with the Baraks.

We first visited Benuga on June 12th, spending the whole day there. We took a boat to the secluded corner of Gilbert Island, far from the inhabited portion, and spent the day cooking, chatting, playing guitar, swimming, and exploring Benuga's rock formation and cave.

We enjoyed it so much that just 6 days later, we decided to return for an overnight camping trip, this time joined by my good friend and local parish priest Father Roni. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this trip quite as much as I would have liked.

Even before leaving Rosario town, I sustained an injury. Carrying two full jerrycans of drinking water, I was crossing a 'bridge' of two thin 2" x 4" boards across a fish pond to get to our boat. Upon shifting my weight from my left foot to my right foot, the right board collapsed, sending me into the muddy fish pond, and my left foot through the other board in an abrupt impact. I am still suffering from a bad mid-foot sprain as a consequence.

Moving on from that incident, I'd rather focus my attention mostly on that first trip:
Arriving at a dock made of burrowed corals near Benuga.
From the dock, we trekked through mangroves and coastal lands.
A view along the shore with the base of the rock formation on the right.
No trip with the Baraks is complete without culinary delights, including crabs and shellfish caught along the beach.
Elpiyo and Rik Rik preparing a vegetable side dish cooked in coconut milk.
Taking a siesta during the hottest part of the day, we played cards, music on guitar, and even called my father at 2AM EST to sing him a 'mañanita' (a traditional birthday serenade performed early in the morning outside the house of the celebrant).
Walking across the water to another rock formation and cave.
Climbing...
...to find a cave and great swimming waters on the other side. 
Taking a wonderfully refreshing swim in the crystal clear waters. 
As high tide rolled in, we walked out to our boat for the return journey. 
Our group on the way down the Pinumukran River back into town.
On the return trip, the guys spent more time hunting for shell fish and crabs while I found myself rather disabled.
They came prepared this time with small spears to hunt their prey.

No comments:

Post a Comment