Saturday, July 5, 2014

My First Pilgrimage, A Monkey Seller, Rosario's Founding Anniversary, and More

On June 6th, I joined my good friend Father Roni in making the long journey to Gamay at the far end of Northern Samar in advance of the Diocesan Pentecost celebration. It was a long journey by jeepney, car, boat, and ‘habal habal’ (a hired motorcycle accommodating up to 4 people).

Upon arrival, we socialized with his friends from the church. Pictured above, Father Roni sings 'videoke' at a local resort as the nuns await their turn. For all of their chastity, these singing nuns do love their love songs!
Representing our local parish in Rosario, I joined our delegation to march in the procession kicking off the Pentecost celebration June 7th in Gamay. (Photo Credit: Aida)
This candlelight vigil during the late-night mass closed out the event that featured many overtly-religious song and dance routines, skits, and speeches. This was definitely a first for me; not being religious and never having joined a pilgrimage. Great friends surrounded me, but I’d be lying if I didn’t acknowledge that I felt rather out of place. (Photo Credit: Aida)
The following morning, my friends and I stopped off in Father’s hometown of Palapag, where he accompanied us to a beautiful beach on a nearby island. He surprised us by arranging for his relatives to deliver us a delicious picnic lunch.
I had no time to rest after the long trip back to Rosario, for I had been invited to an 18th birthday party for Renci, the mayor’s niece, that very night. And this was unlike any birthday party I have ever been to, yet this type of celebration is normal for those families who have the money to hold it. The celebrant is referred to as the ‘debutant’, as the 18th birthday is regarded as the young woman’s debut to womanhood and thus the dating scene.

Throughout the course of the night, the debutant is treated to 18 roses, 18 gifts, 18 perfumes, and 18 words of wisdom. Pictured above, 18 masked young men take turns presenting a rose and dancing with Renci. Afterwards, 18 previously selected people are called upon to present their gifts, then 18 others to each present a different perfume to the debutant. Finally, 18 of her closest friends are called to the microphone to deliver their own words of wisdom.
One morning, I was awoken by a plea to come outside; a woman had arrived from a far-flung barangay with a monkey on a leash. I was surprised to see this, but even more so when I was asked to buy it. I certainly was not interested, although she was a cute little girl who giggled every time I flashed a smile.

Only an hour later, after I had gone to the office, another woman stopped by with a parrot. Although I never expressed any desire for a pet, someone is apparently telling people to bring any animal to the American, he’ll buy it!
The many fiestas in our area have yet to come to an end, and I was privileged to attend several more in the last month. On June 23rd, I boarded a boat with Father Roni and the Baraks to spend two days in Biri Island for their fiesta. We visited countless houses to feast, drink, and just have a great time together. (Photo Credit: Father Roni)
The food… the food was amazing! Lots of great seafood: pungent crabs, clams, lobsters, shrimp, and a variety of fish including savory tuna steaks are a small sampling of the tasty fair we sampled. (Photo Credit: Father Roni)
We made a brief excursion to another part of the Biri rock formations I had yet to visit: a place known as Magasang. Just like the others, absolutely stunning. (Photo Credit: Father Roni)
Unfortunately, getting there meant scaling boulders and tripping over the uneven sea floor of corals. Not an easy task for my still ailing foot.
On June 26th, the municipality held the Little Miss Rosario 2014 beauty pageant as part of their weeklong festivities celebrating their 45th Founding Anniversary. The pageant featured young girls from age 6 to 9, and was very odd for me as an American (where pageants, especially for youth, have long ago fallen out of favor) to behold. The girls took it very seriously, and generally enjoyed the event. Pictured above, Bobi, my counterpart, hosts the final segment of the pageant: Q&A from the judges.
The pageant also featured a talent competition, a casual wear competition, sportswear competition (pictured above), and an evening gown competition.
The culmination of the Founding Anniversary was held the following day. After the blessing of the newly completed municipal hall during the afternoon, a formal celebration was held outside at night. The event kicked off with a ‘doxology’ by the church choir (pictured above), where youth acted out a prayer song using shadows behind a screen.
Several politicians delivered speeches during the night, most significant of which was the ‘State of the Municipal Address’ by Mayor 'Tidot' Miranda, my host-father here in Rosario. Interspersed throughout the night were traditional dances, skillfully performed by the teachers from local elementary and high schools.
This traditional dance owes much to influences from Chinese culture.
But the majority of the dances owe more to the strong influence of the Spanish, their former colonizers, on the Filipino people.

No comments:

Post a Comment