Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Just got the invite! It's Mali!


Just got the following email from the Placement Officer!
"I have good news. The post has accepted my proposal because they feel that your engineering skills are valuable to the program and that you would be a good fit. The program is a Water and Sanitation Engineering program in Mali leaving July 1st. We normally do not send invitations out via email but because of the time constraints I want to be sure you have adequate time to peruse the materials. I have attached the Volunteer Description as well as the online book below. You will receive an invitation packet in the mail in about 3 days. Please follow the directions for letting us know your decision. Again, it will be important for you to refresh your French as much as possible to have at least a base going in. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns and congratulations!"
This moved faster than I could have imagined just a day ago.  Yesterday, I was debating whether it was too late for a July invite, and the lack of September dates in Africa had me concerned.  Today, I'm invited!  I'm really speachless.

July 1st.  Mali.  Water and Sanitation Engineering.

"Refresh your French."  Yeah, ummm, any ideas on how to LEARN French best I can before July??

4 comments:

  1. Congrats! There's a fb Mali group so make sure to check it out. Peace Corps Mali July 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck with the French and congratulations on the country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! Just ordered Rosetta Stone for the French.. I got about a month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosetta Stone is good, as I have used it a lot. Also, you might want to check out french.about.com, as well as Carnegie Mellon University's free online French classes. If you go to google and type "Carnegie Mellon french online," then click on the first search result, it will get you there. I found that very helpful. Also, listening to the Rosetta Stone CDs when you're not sitting in front of the computer using the software helped me, too. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete