Thursday, May 13, 2010

Some post-invitation musings...

It's a funny thing, this Peace Corps application process. Back in August when I first applied, I was looking extremely forward to the opportunity to serve in this organization. Regardless of where I would be placed or what I would be doing, it would be one of the greatest challenges and most incredible experiences of my life. I would have the chance to help a community in need all the while experiencing a foreign culture first-hand and forging bonds that would last a lifetime. The actual assignment was secondary, I knew I would love the experience regardless.

Then the nomination came in September; math teacher in non-french speaking Africa. I was told the nomination was subject to change, and that only about 50% of applicants end up serving in the capacity of their nomination. But there it was, a tangible position and location staring back at me, giving me something to latch myself onto.

When you have almost a year to think about something as life-altering as the Peace Corps, you dream about what your experience might be like. You picture yourself teaching a class of 50 students in the middle of a lush forest in sub-saharan Africa. To you, it all just begins to seem so right.

Then I recieved the phone call this past Tuesday, telling me something vastly different from what I had pictured. A water/sanitation engineer, in a french-speaking country, and in an arid land in Africa. Subconciously, I felt a slight dissapointment. I was excited, no doubt, but the experience I had dreamed about for a year would never happen. Now it was a new dream, a new experience.

As soon as I put down the phone and filtered through my thoughts, I quickly got back to that state I was in back in August. The desire, the excitement was still there, no matter what the position or location. It just got buried under a mirage.

So I guess the point of my rambling is that with the Peace Corps, you will rarely, in the end, end up with the position you expected. But now that the application process is over, I could not be more thrilled with the result. And this new challenge, this new experience; I am confident that it will be more rewarding than I could have ever imagined before that Tuesday phone call.

3 comments:

  1. congrats! i'm water and sanitation as well, but in Panama for august. for me this is the program i wanted originally, and i'm excited to be doing something that will be challenging in so many different ways. even though you had your heart set on teaching, peace corps sees that you have the skills to offer your help in a more technical setting. take it as a compliment? best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey there. I understand completely! I was originally nominated for health extension set to leave in July but now am leaving in June for Youth Development. I'm going to Mongolia which I'm really very scared about because of the weather conditions...I know though that once I'm there everything will work out..I think once I get there I will be more happy and care so much about where I'm at and just enjoy it regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niquey, thanks for the encouragement. I am very happy with my assignment. It just took some time to think back to why I applied. I never really thought about teaching until that was my nomination, its just kind of a byproduct of the long process, giving you so much time to mull over something! But the good side of it is it makes us sure that we are not rushing into it! Patience, right?

    Anony - I'm sure you'll adjust to the conditions and enjoy you're time there more than you can imagine right now. Its a beautiful country with a rich and unique heritage.

    Good luck to both of you!

    ReplyDelete