Sunday, May 9, 2010

Motivation Statement (or.. why the heck is Mike doing this??)

I figured the best way to kick off this blog is to answer the question I have been asked just about every time I tell someone about my decision to join the Peace Corps... 'Why would you do that??' Of course, I understand that some people may never understand and accept it (Hi Mom!).

Below is an essay I submitted as part of the application process to describe just that...


Motivation Statement


Our culture, at its best, celebrates our nation’s diversity. As Americans, we have taken from many distinct cultures to create our own wholly unique society. It is in this tradition that I hope to learn from a new culture: their customs, their viewpoints; and share this experience at home. At the same time, I plan to instill our sense of unity and our ideals with people abroad. It would truly be an honor to fully immerse myself in a foreign culture, learning more than I can imagine, all the while representing our nation’s culture abroad.

During my college experience, one course in particular helped shape my outlook on foreign culture and the world as a whole; AAS 341: African Politics. I took this course outside of my curriculum to pursue my fascination with global history, but I ended up taking away much more. In this course, I learned about African culture, including the way African villages operate prior to Western contact and the different ways they cope with their surroundings. For instance, many Africans historically use the concept of fractals to analyze their natural environment in lieu of our staples of mathematics and science. These are not inferior practices by any means, just different. Both approaches have their own strengths, and should be respected.

But one part of this course affected me the most; the downward spiral that the continent has taken ever since its resources and its people were first taken advantage of by the outside world. And I was shocked to learn that many of the NGOs which operate in Africa, dispersing food and shelter to the needy, only exacerbate their problems. When Westerners come to Africa and hand out food and shelter, the native population becomes dependent on aid. Due to this dependency, the NGOs are supported with further funding, continuing the continent’s downward spiral.

The Peace Corps, however, is different. It affords its volunteers the opportunity to make a real difference, by educating the native population on how to not only care for themselves, but thrive both in the context of their region and globally. Instead of instilling dependency, this program affords independency. It is this cause that stirs a passion within, to give back to the world and have a positive impact on a whole community.

I am at a point in my life where I have gained valuable knowledge and occupational skills through my education and my four years in the workforce. I have proven myself adept not only at the technical skills required for engineering, but also the communications skills required to effectively coordinate projects to completion amongst clients and coworkers. The Peace Corps would provide an opportunity for me to challenge these skills in a new and exciting environment, providing invaluable experience to draw upon throughout my career. More importantly, I feel that I am now in a prime position to move from the private sector to the Peace Corps and truly have a positive impact on a community in need abroad.

1 comment:

  1. Way to call out mother... Although I think you've won her over now. :)

    ReplyDelete