Sunday, May 16, 2010

Mali's Rich Musical Heritage

One of the many benefits of serving in the Peace Corps is the ability to experience first-hand the culture of a new land. I have always been fascinated by the many rich cultures that permeate the entire continent of Africa, whether through classes taken in college, the many great sculptures found in the Smithsonian African Art Museum in Washington, DC, or through the many great African musicians that have found their way to my ears over the years.

Two artists in particular have taken on a new meaning to me over the past week: Salif Keita and Oumou Sangaré. I have listened to both artists frequently over the years, and have just found out that they are both from Mali, the country I will find myself in beginning July! I would recommend both these musicians to anyone, whether joining me in Mali or not.
Salif Keita (right).
I first found out about Salif Keita after watching the movie "Ali" back in 2004. He contributed the song "Tomorrow (Sadio)" to the movie's soundtrack. The song, with its hauntingly beautiful and moving vocals, a Keita trademark, led me to discover a rich catalog of music from this prolific artist. The man truly has one of the most striking and distinctive voices, not only in all of Africa, but the world. I'd recommend his album "Folon" as a great starting place - it features some great uplifting tunes such as "Tekere," as well as aggressive and rhythmic movements with Funk and Afro-beat elements like "Sumun."
Oumou Sangaré.
I found out about Oumou Sangaré much later, sometime in 2009. But her music is just as impressive. Like Keita, its her vocals that stand out the most. Although I can't understand her lyrics (yet? maybe after PC training?), her voice truly reaches through her music and places the listener in a somewhat hypnotic trance. Backed by some great native instruments, such as the harp lute and various percussive instruments, this music has a very traditional feel. I have only heard her greatest hits compilation "Oumou," but this album is definitely worth picking up.

I know that these two artists are just the tip of the iceberg (probably the wrong analogy for Mali?!) for this great land, and that makes me all the more excited to experience the rich and diverse culture that Mali has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment